Getting in front of people to talk about your addiction can seem like an impossible experience. That’s the impression many people have of group therapy. The good news is it does not have to be like that. A group therapy program is an opportunity for people to come together to learn and support each other. Even if you’re hesitant about opening up in front of others, group therapy sessions can help make your time in treatment more effective. At Virtues Behavioral Health, we offer this type of therapy as one component of the whole picture of treating addiction.
Why Is a Group Therapy Program So Important?
Group therapy is nothing to fear. You don’t have to stand in front of people to talk about your deepest secrets. Rather, you’ll spend a lot of your time working with a few people and a therapist to talk about challenges you might face in recovery and to support each other. There are many benefits to this type of addiction treatment program. These include:
- Learning about addiction as a group. You’ll learn about symptoms, how the disease happens, and why it happens in group sessions.
- Exploring new ways to communicate. Building strong communication skills is an important part of success in addiction recovery. There’s no better place to do that than with people who understand what you are facing.
- Supporting other people. Group therapy allows you to support others by sharing advice or just being there for their hard moments. That’s empowering to you and your recovery as well.
- Opening up to others who are walking the same path. No one else understands what it feels like to fight cravings or overcome stigma on a daily basis.
- Explore strategies for dealing with life. Group therapy is always a good place to learn how to manage stress and how to deal with those in your life who may not always offer the best support.
You never have to tell your secrets or feel out of place. However, opening up about your experiences and hearing from others can help you feel supported.
How Group Therapy Aids Recovery
There is no way to know this. Group therapy tends to be a valuable tool for recovery because of all that it teaches and provides. At the same time, some individuals in recovery don’t participate in group therapy and still go on to do well in recovery. Many factors play a role here including the severity of your addiction, the trauma in your life, and the support system you have in place. Even if you don’t wish to engage in it, going to group therapy can change the path of your future. There’s no harm in doing so whenever possible.
Other Addiction Treatment Therapies
Once you make the decision to get help for drug and alcohol addiction, you’ll explore the wide range of addiction therapy programs we offer at Virtues Behavioral Health. This is just one of many types of therapy we offer. Others include:
- Family therapy program
- Individual therapy program
- Health and wellness programs
- Art therapy programs
- Medication-assisted treatment
It is the use of a wide range of substance abuse treatment programs like this that can make a huge difference in your life and your future. When you want to stop using for good, let our team help make that happen.
Call Virtues Behavioral Health for Immediate Help
Finding the right combination of therapy to help you overcome drug and alcohol addiction can seem challenging. Yet, a group therapy program can offer so many benefits it is nearly always a program people appreciate even if they don’t want to engage initially. There’s never any pressure at Virtues Behavioral Health. To learn more about the work we offer, call us at 855.579.8599 or connect with us online today.
Virtues Behavioral Health is a substance abuse treatment center in Los Angeles, California. We offer addiction and mental health treatment at our outpatient rehab center. Our substance abuse treatment programs help clients avoid relapse and rebuild their lives. Contact our Los Angeles addiction treatment center at 855.265.7710